Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Who said there were no job openings in the humanities?

Rebecca Shuman's blog highlights a job ad for an adjunct at Santa Clara University.  Here's part of the basic qualifications:
... will have worked in electronic media such as being editor of Forbes ASAP or a weekly columnist for ABC.com; will have founded or co-founded at least two start-ups; will have professional connections to Oxford University in the UK as well as to numerous media (print, electronic, and television) in the SF Bay Area and beyond.
This is only a taste and not even the most unbelievable part.  Go read her story, which involves a contest and money.



1 comment:

  1. While the requirements listed in the ad seem outlandish, I'm not entirely surprised at this.

    Soon after I started my teaching position, the department created the position of assistant head but the whole hiring process was rigged. The qualifications could be matched by only one candidate, though, in accordance with institutional regulations, the position was open for competition. Several people applied for the position, but one of my colleagues got the job as, obviously, the ad was written with him in mind.

    Similarly, after the department head at the time retired, his successor was another colleague and, again, the process was clearly stacked in his favour. Interviewing other candidates was merely window-dressing.

    I went through that myself when I applied for positions in other departments many years later. I recall one interview in which I was asked questions which clearly only the preferred candidate could answer. As it turned out, he was a recent alumnus, hailed by the department in question as the wunderkind they were looking for all along. I was rather miffed that all my time and effort I put into applying for that job was a complete waste of time, particularly when the HR rep called me afterwards and gave me the thumbs-down in a rather contemptuous manner.

    ReplyDelete