Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday Morning News

I don't know where to begin with this story.  A professor says, "the instructor makes all major decisions about what to learn, the requirements/assignments, class policies, grading policies and so on" then claims there's something wrong with that approach.

Professor John Schindler gets suspended for a dick pic (that link goes to the story, not the picture).  Apparently, he's a former NSA security guy so, yeah, it's even funnier.  To sort out the sordid details, you have to rely on the journalistic titans at Buzzfeed to explain what's going on.  Summary: NSA guy was having an affair, sent a pic to his girlfriend, who shared it online in order to make him look bad.  No wonder these guys are upset that Snowden got all those files.

Speaking of professors behaving poorly, there's this advice letter from slate: A student told me she has sex with two senior faculty members for money. What should I do?

By chance, we found another Slate article related to education.  Don't call your students "kids."  I wholeheartedly agree.  talented adults or responsible or even competent adults, but they are not children.
They are adults.  They might not be


1 comment:

  1. I called my students "kids" when speaking about them to others, but not in front of them. I did it b/c I saw them as my charges, wards, and I cared for them; I felt a very strong responsibility to "raise them up right" in the discipline. It was never meant as a derogatory term, but one of endearment. And yes, I'm old enough to be their parent. I think in this case, context is everything.

    ReplyDelete