Friday, June 27, 2014

I search through all of RYS and CM to find Goddamn Katie posts and then I find this one...

From College Misery, July 19, 2011

A Katie Cornucopia.

I'm sure this isn't all-inclusive, but I've linked to some great "Katie" moments. If you haven't read Cal's account in the comments below Katie's post this morning, it might give you an overview.

But, suffice it to say, SOMEONE has been posting as "Katie" for a few years now, and the material has always been pretty rich. And what's useful to remember, is that nearly all of the RYS/CM Katie posts have near identical posts on her own blog - even up to and including (God save me what wrath this might bring me) shit about her cats.



I don't feel like exerting any more energy on her today, but it's an odd story. Given my knowledge of how email accounts and IP servers work, I'm pretty confident that much of the "Katie" material has come from someone in a certain building on a certain campus where the real Dr. Crazy works. As Cal has more or less said, someone who knows her has invested a ton of time in turning Dr. Crazy posts into Katie posts (they are identical oftentimes in events, and sometimes even in language), or, Katie is Dr. Crazy.

Yet, the most recent email I have for her (and this is not the first time it's happened), asks me to ignore what I think of as fairly conclusive evidence.

In an effort to put a stop to this, I'm not going to leave up any material that comes in purportedly from "Katie." I extend my apology to Dr. Crazy if indeed someone from her own academic building has been so successfully reposting her material through our blog (and by extension, I guess, the earlier RYS blog, though of course I never worked for it.)

"Katie," cut it out.

Dr. Crazy, this blog never intended you any harm. The material that came to us from "Katie" came from your college, and mirrored in many ways your own posts. Rightly or wrongly, it was assumed you'd created a second pseudonymous identity in order to get feedback from a large academic audience who didn't have daily contact with your original online persona. We won't post any more "Katie" material.

Fab



[+]


There's one final chapter is this saga.  Katie somebody - at this point I don't fucking know who - fires the final shot.

I hope you enjoyed Katie week.  I've got a cast of characters lined up but if there's a topic or person you'd like me to feature, put it in the comments.

Ben

 

No comments:

Post a Comment