Saturday, May 10, 2014

Saturday links

Good morning to all.

We have but a single news story for you today, albeit with two links.  This one is from Wombat of the Copier.

A law school textbook publisher takes the next step in their fight for financial survival.  Not only do students not actually own an electronic version of a book, they don't even own a physical book itself.  I read here that some professors aren't happy about this arrangement but starting a petition doesn't seem like strong action to me.

What's the penalty for not returning the book?  I don't see how the publisher has any means of penalizing a customer, even if the publisher has the right to do so.

No, we're not wading into the story about the Princeton student who wrote the editorial about white privilege.  Nor do I want to get into the meta-story about the response to the story and so forth.  It's everywhere if you read any academic blogs or news.  Consider yourself privileged to be able to avoid it here.

Have a good Saturday!


4 comments:

  1. Of course, I can't help noticing that the book they don't actually own is a book on Property Law.

    (I'd say it was Ironic, but I'm afraid of starting an argument about Alanis Morissette)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I've been thinking that the "Sell Back Your Book! Have Money for Summer Vacation!" signs plastered around our campus undermine the conception of an education that I'd like to see our university promote (valuable for the long term, cumulative, etc.). Apparently both I and my university are now out of date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My school's bookstore puts those signs up before finals week. I think that's a nice touch.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely *hate* how expensive books have gotten in my field. I think the major textbook for Gen. Ed. in my field, has a new edition every couple of years. I don't think things change *that* much each time to insist on using the "new" version. My main employer is still using an edition that was new two editions ago (Good for them!). This fall (unless I get the job I interviewed for) I will be teaching at another institution, using a newer edition. It will be fun to see what is "new" and if it really matters in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete