Saturday, April 26, 2014

More links

Here are a couple of serious news items. I'll let AWC contributor Frankie Bow introduce the first:

Maybe there will turn out to be more to this story, but the difference between this and my own experience is a matter of degree, not kind. In my experience, it's not just individual nutjob students. It's individual nutjobs in a culture of student entitlement and customer service. Judging from the public comments coming out of our own Student Retention Office, I wonder if they wouldn't put a legbreaker or two on their payroll, if they could get away with it. Anything to raise the pass rate.

MDC professor beaten — was it a ‘hit’ over a grade?

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/21/4071995/mdc-professor-beaten-was-it-a.html#storylink=cpy
 




Now my comments.  Who would enact such terrible violence against a professor?  The article implies that a possible suspect is a student who gave the professor a bad review but the story glosses over the real clue:
Several students who posted reviews of Magellan on ratemyprofessors.com praised him as a wonderful instructor.
...
“This professor inspired me to change my major to Art History,” wrote another. 
I hate to be mean but if somebody had inspired me to major in Art History, knowing that job market, I'd want to kill somebody too.

Needs Improvement: Student evaluations of professors aren’t just biased and absurd—they don’t even work.
It is that time of year again when the little shits tell us how to do our jobs.  This article sets the record straight.  Preach it, sister!

Finally, something a little more light hearted, even though it does involve the possibility of somebody dying and a flowchart.
does this task count for tenure (with helpful flow chart) 
It's a brilliant way to manage your time while on the tenure clock.  My only quibble is that "helpful flow chart" is redundant.  What other kind of flowchart is there?




Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/21/4071995/mdc-professor-beaten-was-it-a.html#storylink=cpy

No comments:

Post a Comment