Monday, April 14, 2014

Does it make me a bad person if...

I have a student who is in a program I advise and has been a giant issue all year long. Duplicitous. Stirring up the other students so as to be the star of her own little reality TV drama with her as the heroine. Extremely, um, confident about how great she is and how she's going to get such a great job once she suffers through "this BS of a program" and gets her credential at the end. (She's also quite loud)

She's now applying for these great jobs, and happened to leave her resume on the copier that the students share. And there is a big, giant, dumb-looking spelling mistake right there in the big type.

Our field is extremely competitive, and details matter.

And I'm thinking that since I lead all the BS, and didn't ask me, I'm not going to point it out.

-- Dr. Amelia


7 comments:

  1. No, it doesn't make you a bad person. Hopefully her puzzlement over the lack of interest employers show in her will lead to some introspection. In the meantime: Schadenfreude is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resume? What resume? I didn't see your resume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're facilitating a learning experience. That's your job, right?

    I suppose you could stir up some drama yourself, and fix the problem, by asking someone whom she would particularly not like to have correct her point out the problem to her. Or you could do it anonymously (big red circle and leave it in her box), leaving her wondering who noticed. Heck, you could put a big red circle around the problem, add an equally big red exclamation point (or WTF), and pin it up over the copier, assuming someone would eventually notice it and point it out to her.

    But all of the above would be mean, and a bit unprofessional. I'm not unconvinced that putting a copy in her box with the mistake clearly but not ovedramatically circled in something visible but not too eye-catching, say blue or green, and nothing else, wouldn't be a happy medium; she'd probably be more than slightly discomfited by wondering who caught the mistake, and she might even miss the correction if she didn't look carefully, but you would have tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did she ask you to review it? If not, you shouldn't have been reading it in the first place, so completely ignore it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd think twice about pointing it out, if I were you. If you do point it out, what do you think the chances are that this student will throw a hissy-fit because "I didn't ask you!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. On second thought, I think Cynic and Frod are right. I can easily see her spinning this into some sort of privacy violation, even though she left it in plain sight, and she might even be right (if touchy; anytime anyone points out a typo in my materials, I'm embarrassed, but also grateful -- well, usually. If a student is doing it as misdirection/a way of playing power games, I'm less grateful.)

    ReplyDelete