Friday, February 7, 2014

Three days and still standing

Thank you to everybody who followed me from College Misery to the Academic Water Cooler.  I received dozens of emails and comments from people who, like me, were sad to see the end of College Misery (the site, not the misery itself).  One message said, "You saved my semester."  That's so gratifying that I might shut down the blog and reopen it a day later just to experience the supportive response again.  And thanks visiting each day and carrying on in the comments section.

Just so you know, Leslie, Fab and Cal have been a great help to me getting things going behind the scenes.  Leslie spread the word about the new site, Cal shared his poorly rendered graphics from CM and RYS and Fab, well, Fabio Sunshine was the only thing he could be: awesome.

We'll observe some of the traditions from those sites as well. We shall honor the Doctrine of Thirsties.  I've only created one new rule: trolls are deleted.  Don't engage with them since your replies will get deleted too.  Just let it go, like water off the duck's back.  Other than that, we'll just have to take things as they come.

Posting will continue on the weekend but maybe be a little bit lighter.  Of course, if nobody sends me stuff to post, there won't be much going on here next week either.  So get to it, ok?

Always and Sincerely,
Your faithful Moderator,

Beaker Ben


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking on this task for us. I so very grateful!!! Long live BEAKER BEN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I knew my students were rubbing off on me. *I'm* so very grateful! At least I didn't use "i"!!!

      Delete
    2. At least you're not greatful.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Beaker Ben! You truly have saved me from having to reshape my morning ritual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, lunch time...after any kind of meeting...between student mails.

      Thanks to Ben, and those helping him!

      Delete
    2. I know, right? I can't count how many times I've gone to click on my saved CM link and then realized, "Oh, wait, no..."

      Delete
    3. Confession: I still do that, and I'm supposed to be running this show. D'oh!

      Delete
  3. It made my day to find this here. Thank you, Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems to be working. Many, many thanks, Ben!

    P.S. I like the new rule, and the implementation thereof that I've happened to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben is my hero. He was before, but, still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm writing to let you know that there are some future dates where I won't be able to check in on the blog. Can you let me know if I'll miss anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should send this to Chicago Charlie but I'm certain that we won't be covering anything important while you are gone.

      Whether you are on a family ski vacation or a booze cruise with your sorority sisters, I hope you have a wonderful time.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for doing this, Ben. I used to check College Misery a few times a day. I've said more than once to my wife that commiserating with other proffies helps keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete