Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday morning news

We have a fine selection of news links for you today, all sent in by readers.

It's like something out of Looney Tunes has come to life. 

I'm not sure where I stand on this one.  If the administration made a professor to teach a class he wasn't qualified to teach, then it's good that people know about that.  However, his students certainly will certainly ignore him now and learn even less. It's still not an offense worthy of suspension.
Rutgers suspends top anthropology professor for allegedly refusing to teach, report says

In this case, I actually feel sorry for the administrators.  Every business includes in their current prices the costs of future financial commitments.  These guys just made the mistake of explicitly telling students about it.
UH West Oahu students getting money back

A reader sent this link to me after reading the stories of undergrad researchers here and here.  This one is actually sad.  Student flakiness ma be involved but it's definitely research disorganization which results in pointless animals deaths.  That's ultimately the professor's fault.
UC Berkeley fined in deaths of lab animals

We can't end on a down note here so I dug up this story.  From the "It's always in the last place you look" file...

Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. The Rutgers story is sad. So many of the people there are failing to be honest. How can Bob Trivers claim to know nothing about the Human Aggression course "other than how to spell the words 'human' and 'aggression'”?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless he had absolutely no time to prepare the course, it doesn't seem reasonable to claim he knows nothing about it. If we all only taught our specialities, we'd have very little to offer by way of classes, I don't know anything about several national cinemas, but I'm reading now so that I might prepare future courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I taught the technology of basket weaving, and as with any technological field, the field changes about every 5 minutes. If I had insisted on teaching only what I knew, then I'd have been flipping burgers instead of being a professor. One would hope faculty could rise to the occasion, and use their skills to teach a course that does not lie specifically within their given specialty. I've certainly learned a lot along the way, and it has informed the work that is my specialty.

      Delete