Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday is a good time to hit the links

Frankie Bow calls our attention to an article about student accommodations and excuses.
U of T student loses bid to avoid class with women because he’s shy
U of T student Wongene Daniel Kim loses complaint before Human Rights body against prof who docked marks when he wouldn’t attend co-ed class

In an AWC first, he sends a link AND a question, making this a rare Weekend Thirsty, which we will allow because I'm in a hurry to go get some dinner.  He asks:

What is the most ridiculous request for special treatment that you have ever received from a student? 
 
I'm not sure anyone can top this story for delusional entitlement, but I know there's someone out there who comes close!
 
 Readers, don't let him down.


8 comments:

  1. From a reader: A guy said that he didn't want to sit next to a very attractive woman during an exam because she was distracting him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't stop laughing when I read it was for a Women and Gender Studies course. Wouldn't you expect women in the class or any class for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once had a student tell me she was newly vegan and asking if I could announce to the class that no-one was to eat anything with dairy in it while she was there as it was too tempting.

    It was for a laboratory class where no eating or drinking is allowed anyway, so not just a very odd request but one she didn't need to make..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reminds me of the old joke:

      Q: How do you know if someone is a vegan
      A: Oh, don't worry, they will tell you....

      Delete
  4. I had a student who wanted other students removed from the class because their opinions conflicted with hers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a male student who had been absent for most of the semester show up during the last week and tell me that he hadn't been missing class because he was a slacker, it was just that he had a hard time when he had female teachers. He would just stare at them a lot and it was very uncomfortable, he told me, so he chose not to come to class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We at my college had a student claim that because of his nervous disorder (he had consulted a therapist due to being anxious and nervous in temperament) he could not meet any deadline. He literally wanted the college to allow him to take all his courses "at his own pace" with enough time, in terms of days and even weeks, to complete exams, papers, homework, etc. He took this to court.


    He lost.
    "

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a student request that I sharpen hir pencil.

    ReplyDelete