Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday is a good day to hit the links

We have another batch of links today.  Readers sent in quite a few this week, which is always appreciated.

This first article describes the predicament of medical doctors.  I know, the poor little dears.  Actually, read the article and you might, just might, notice some similarities between their situation and ours.

A reader also suggested we check out Professor Doom's Confessions of a College Professor.  I did and it's good stuff, worth reading.  Now, don't go sending Prof Doom your student smackdowns and such.  Those belong here.  Still, there's nothing wrong with visiting other faculty blogs once in a while.

Finally, the best headline of the group: Neighbors said to fear 'transient academics'.  You're Goddamned right, you should fear them.  Nothing ruins a neighborhood like a bunch of visiting professors.


Wishing you a restful Saturday afternoon,

Always and truly yours,

Beaker Ben

4 comments:

  1. The Transient Academics article is less strange than anticipated but the comments are wonderful. Thanks, Ben, for posting this. It's why I keep reading the interwebz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments were hilarious! I, too, was wondering what transient academics were. I thought our students were all transient academics, or at least transient potential academics. :)

      FWIW: I love this idea of posting the linked articles on weekends.

      Delete
  2. I like Professor Doom's take on where college administrators should come from (and return to, i.e. the classroom), and his(?) related suspicion of "higher ed" grad degrees. Good stuff (which I suppose I'm bound to say, since I agree with it). I have some hope that some of the ire directed at higher ed is being turned away from professors, and turned on administrators, partially as the result, I suspect, of adjunct activism. Of course, when the dust settles, we'll probably find they've fired all the librarians, tech support folks, and other people who directly support teaching, and have retained the sub-sub Deans (and assistant assistant coaches), but at least it beats trying to explain, ad infinitum and ad nauseum, that each 3 hours/week spent in the classroom translates into at least 2x to 3x that much prep and response, for professors as well as students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words, and for the bump!

    It's not just suspicion about those "higher ed" grad degrees. As part of my research, I signed up for a graduate education course (yes, I paid actual money), and an 8000 level course in Administration. I detail the exact contents of the courses on my blog, as well as how easy it is to get into such programs. When I say those degrees are questionable, I do so not out of suspicion, but because I've seen so with my own eyes. I'm not saying all such degrees are questionable, but my review of programs of other institutions makes it clear that, well, there's simply no reason to accept any such degree at face value.

    ReplyDelete