Friday, February 7, 2014

Aww! Chicago Charlie's students miss him. That's so sweet.

In what universe do they think I care?  And keep in mind we've only had six sessions, one of which the university cancelled for bad weather!  It's almost like no one here even wants to be here...

2/6
I'm not feeling to well today.  So I won't be going to class.

2/6
I was absent yesterday from our XXX class, and I've heard that you handed out something to read for tomorrow. I was wondering if I could get the name of the piece so I can read it. 

2/6
I am likely not to be in class today. This week has been pretty rough for me. My uncle has been sent to prison. I'm just not handling it well.



2/6
I missed class again today for a doctor’s appointment. Are there any additional readings other than the assigned texts?

2/4
I was absent today on account of illness. Did we receive any extra readings for Thursday? If so, can I get those readings?

2/4
I am sorry for informing you so late. I was not feeling well this morning and was only just able to get up. Would you please email me the reading assignments for XXX and YYY? Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

1/27 
I am a student in your XXX class. I have a potential conflict that I would like to address with you concerning class for tomorrow, Tuesday, Jan. 28th. My hometown is five hours away and I was originally going to leave directly after class tomorrow. Due to the weather I considering changing my plans to leave earlier so I would make it in time for XXX event. I was wondering if I could either be excused from class tomorrow or, at least, be excused early. If neither of these are acceptable, I completely understand. I really hope to hear from you soon!

1/22
Hi Professor Charlie,
This is XXX, I missed class today because I couldn't get my car to start. Have to love this beautiful weather we are having! I was wondering if there were any syllabus changes or any other information I should pay attention to for Thursday's class? If so, please let me know.
Thank you and have a fantastic day!

1/21
Good morning. My name is XXX and I am currently in your XXX class. I was up with the flu all night last night, so I don't think I am going to make it, wondering if you can tell me what I am missing? I can stop by sometime during your office hours this week if need
be.

Jan 14
Hi my name is XXX and I am a student in your XXX class. I wanted to make you aware of a possible future absence from your class. I am the assistant director of a leadership organization at a local high school and I have been asked to chaperone their State competition on April 10th-12th.

Jan 14
Hi my name is XXX and I am a student in your XXX class.  I am writing because I unfortunately came down sick this morning and do not think I will be able to make it to class today. Please let me know if there is anything I need to start on immediately. Also, I would have asked in class, but do you use the Blackboard program? I ask because none of my classes show up on it, which either means my professors aren't using it this year or there is a tech problem which I'd rather resolve sooner than later. I anticipate I will be there by Thursday

9 comments:

  1. Add another to the list from today...

    Good afternoon,

    I am XXX from your 1 o'clock YYY class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had something come up with my job yesterday and was unable to attend class. I received all the reading assignments from classmates but I was hoping you would be able to send me the questions for the paper we started in class.

    I apologize for any inconveniences

    ReplyDelete
  2. This semester, I forgot to read out loud the part of my syllabus that points out that I don't need to know all the details when students have to miss class, just the parts that a boss would want to know: when will you be back and fully engaged, and how do you plan to keep and/or catch up in the interim. I'm sure I will regret this omission in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get emails? I just have them show up three weeks later asking if there's anything they can do (ANYTHING!) to make up for the fact that they chose to skip class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a student miss an exam Thursday. I have not heard from hir. They also missed the first week of class. I am wondering if they will even care that they missed an exam?

      Delete
    2. I've had a few of these through the years. My favorite was extremely well organized only when it came to makeup and accessories. She received the news that she'd missed a midterm without batting an (artificial) eyelash.

      Delete
  4. Umm... unless you have a course LMS with all the info, some of these e-mails are completely appropriate.

    Of course, it would be best for them to have a "study buddy" in class they can ask instead, but, well, we are talking about the Special Generation, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. And I still get emails like this. Or else, when they finally return to class, "Did I miss anything important?"

      Delete
    2. I don't take role. I tell them I don't take role. And I tell them not to email me about their being absent. That said, I agree with you that they are not all inappropriate. The flustering part is (a) the departmental obsession with preposterously detailed syllabi still doesn't solve this issue but mostly (b) the sheer volume of them, and so early in the semester. It's crazy-making. Back when I was a student, we just figured it out...

      Delete
  5. On the first day, I put them in groups and before they start working on the assigned task, I tell them to get the name and numbers and e-mails of their group members, because they are responsible for finding out about any work missed. I also place each day's assignment on the Blackboard calendar, and remind the student to look there, when I get an inquiring e-mail.

    ReplyDelete